Getting Your Fair Share

You want to make certain you are financially secure following your divorce. You do not want to be left struggling with money issues. Many times in a divorce, there is one party who handled the finances during the marriage, so they have superior knowledge of the estate. If you are the party who is in the dark about money issues, our team can help you identify the assets, locate them and suggest the best options for division. At The Law Office of Natalie Gregg in Allen, Texas, our lawyers are committed to helping you get your fair share of the marital estate.

Texas Is A Community Property State

Under Texas law, most assets acquired during the marriage by either spouse are considered community property and subject to property division. The few exceptions to that rule are inheritances, gifts and awards from personal injury settlements. Any property, accumulated prior to marriage is considered separate property.

Community property is to be divided in a manner that is just and right, but not necessarily equal. While a 50-50 division may be optimal, a variety of factors could tip the balance in one direction or the other. Those factors include differences in earning capacity, health, age, child conservatorship arrangements and fault in the divorce.

Want to know more about the concept of "fair" under Texas law? Read Family Law's "F" Word.

Our family law attorneys take care to review your situation completely, considering all factors to pursue a fair division of assets.

We are skilled at addressing all assets, including:

Protecting Your Separate Property

All property you owned prior to your marriage, as well as inheritances, gifts and personal injury settlements, is considered your separate property. It is not subject to property division in divorce. However, it is not protected automatically. You need to prove that the assets are separate. Our lawyers are skilled at tracing assets, proving they are separate and protecting them from division. Furthermore, we are aggressive in challenging attempts by your spouse to misclassify community property as his or her separate property.

Get 10-Plus Years Of Experience On Your Side

You can benefit from our knowledge and skill. Call 972-360-9727 or send us an email.