You Can Make Changes

Change is a part of life. Following a divorce or child custody dispute, it is nice to think that the matter is over. Realistically though, it may need to be revisited. Change may occur as a result of a parent moving, a change in physical custody, a change in child support, or a child 12 years and older asking the judge to change conservatorship or possession time. Thankfully, if your life has changed, you may also be able to seek a modification of child custody arrangements or other orders. At The Law Office of Natalie Gregg, we can help you pursue the necessary changes.

Based in Allen, Texas, our attorneys have more than 10 years of family law experience in all areas of modification. We can usher you through the modification process efficiently and effectively so you can move forward with your life. We encourage you to get in touch with us.

When To Seek A Modification

A modification requires a material and substantial change in circumstances. For example, if you have gotten a new job that requires you to work dramatically different hours, then modification may be necessary. People also seek modification in the event of remarriage, change in physical custody of children or in extreme cases, allegations of abuse or neglect by the other parent Modifications can also be appropriate when child support increases/decreases by $100 per month or 20 percent of the originally ordered support after three years have passed.

If your divorce decree is older than a couple years, chances are, your children's needs have changed, Sometimes, after orders are entered, parents want to change the possession schedule, primary conservatorship, or the amount of child support.

You may also make a modification if both parties agree on the change. Be aware that you should formalize such changes to protect yourself should the issue become disputed at a later time. If the change has not been recorded legally, serious problems could arise. Make sure that your orders reflect reality, because "handshake agreements" may dissolve as easily as they were made.

Our lawyers can help you pursue any type of modification. Furthermore, if the other party is seeking a modification you do not agree with or is trying to move away with your child, we can provide guidance on your legal options. When these matters become contentious, we will vigorously defend your rights.

Need To Discuss A Modification?

Work with a team of lawyers that has been recognized throughout the North Texas legal community. Call 972-360-9727 or send us an email.